Expected benefits when using perennial plants:
- More drought resistant than annual crops
- Reduces the risks of flooding
- Minimizes the need for soil tillage
- Reduces the nutrient leakage. Nitrogen-low fertility?
- Minimal handling with seeds
- Carbon storage in the root systems, woody materials and soil.
- Produces food for many years even when maintenance is not possible.
However, there is a need for continous research to develop the perennial system. One such example is plant breeding which we are currently researching on the farm.
On the farm, the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) practices field experiments with perennial varieties of barley and wheat to develop the breeding of perennial cereals.